Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cannon Beach part 1-Ecola Park

To kick off McKay's spring break we went to Cannon Beach! We left at 8 am and were able to spend the whole day there. We had a ton of fun! When we first got there, there weren't very many other people, but by noon there were lots of Spring breakers. I took over 200 photos. So hopefully I will be able to narrow it down to oh around 100 : )


We brought lots of snacks with us. Our favorite is G.H. Cretors Popped Corn- Chicago mix from Cosco. it is a buttery caramel corn and rich cheddar cheese popcorn mix and it is SOO good! McKay's sister Emilee introduced it to me last year and I was a little skeptical at first. caramel and cheese sounds like a weird combination. But it's a sweet and salty treat and we love it! You have to have both the caramel and cheese popcorn in each bite to fully enjoy and appreciate it!

Both McKay and I have been to Cannon Beach but never together. He went with school and I went with my family about 5-6 years ago, I think. It's crazy to me that I'm already taking my little family here.
After an hour and a half of driving we arrived!

  We started out by checking out the Ocean and beach.

 Brin seeing the Ocean for the first time!
 Geez that's a big bath!
 Brin and Mama in front of haystack rocks.
Daddy and Brin

We only stayed at the beach for a little bit then we went to Ecola State Park, which was like a 3 mile drive up the coast.
On our drive there we saw a coyote (which ran out in front of our car) , Elk, and a Bald Eagle. I definitely recommend going to Ecola Park if you come to Cannon beach.



While in Ecola Park we did a few fun activities such as:
Whale watching
In the fall Whales migrate from Alaska to Mexico to have their babies. Then in the Spring they travel back up to Alaska with their new borns. They swim near the coast line, so if your lucky you will be able to see a spurt, back or tail. There were several volunteers and binoculars to help you find them. I think I may have seen a back of a whale, but it could have just as easy been a wave or something in my eye.
Brin did a great job helping us whale watch!
 "It says here that they can be found in the Ocean? Where's that?"

 "Oh they probably mean the big bath over there!"

"K dad look through your binoculars"
For the most part Brin was a little oblivious to the scene around her.
 those seagulls can be just too interesting


It was a beautiful view from where we were!

After Whale Watching we went on a trial, which didn't last very long due to it being a little muddy. 
 


Then we headed to Indian Beach where we watched people surf. Sadly when you surf on the Oregon coast it's not quite like surfing in Hawaii. People have to wear a head to toe body suit.
If you squint you may be able to see a couple of surfers. This is definitely on my list to do. But maybe somewhere with warmer water. 

NEXT PART 2- THE BEACH


4 comments:

  1. Wow, it's so green! We are sooo brown. That family trip we took to Cannon Beach was so fun, I'm sure you had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our trip to Cannon beach back in the day was a ton of fun! While we were there walking around memories of our trip started coming back to me.

      Delete
  2. With a name like "Cannon Beach," how could you possibly go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! When we were trying to decide on what beach to go to we saw the name cannon and knew we would have fun there.

      Delete